Appeals and StrategyWood & Lee builds on the core strengths of our litigation team – extensive litigation experience, in-depth legal analysis, a reputation for creativity and scholarship, and exceptional writing skills. We pride ourselves on being lawyers’ lawyers who are able to work effectively and collegially with our clients and co-counsel.
About Our Practice
- Represent clients who need help in resolving complex public policy problems that call for comprehensive approaches, carefully integrating litigation with legislative, administrative and public relations strategies.
- We also work with trial counsel on key dispositive motions in the trial courts.
International Arbitration and ADRWood & Lee works closely with our clients to determine whether litigation, arbitration or other ADR approaches best serve their needs. Our approach to international arbitration and ADR is innovative and effective, focusing on results‑oriented strategies for our clients. Our experience ranges from representing clients under all of the major international arbitration rules to enforcing arbitral awards internationally. Our lawyers have extensive experience arbitrating under all of the principal international arbitration rules and have experience in both the civil and common law. Our extensive industry knowledge enables us to propose creative business solutions and vigorously defend our clients’ interests when no amicable solution appears possible. Our lawyers have extensive experience both as advocates and as neutrals (e.g., arbitrators and mediators). We represent clients in mediations, adjudications and conciliations. We negotiate and draft ADR agreements and dispute resolution provisions for international and domestic commercial transactions and design dispute resolution systems for corporate use. Our international presence enables us to advise clients in legal problem-solving worldwide.
About Our PracticeOur lawyers possess extensive experience in mediation and at all phases, including selecting effective mediators, drafting mediation position papers and preparing clients for participation. Our lawyers routinely draft international dispute resolution clauses, including multi-tiered clauses, for all types of engagements and transactions. We advise clients on ways to structure international investments in order to derive maximum protection afforded by bilateral and multilateral investment treaties. We also advise on arbitration proceedings pertaining to such treaties. Our lawyers act as arbitrators and mediators under all of the major international arbitration rules, including those established by the following international entities:
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT)
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CPIT)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- London Council of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL)
E-DiscoveryWood & Lee’s e-Discovery team consists of knowledgeable and tech-savvy lawyers who work to alleviate concerns our clients may have about their duties and obligations regarding this rapidly changing field. Our lawyers guide clients through this technological landscape by devising and implementing sound data management and security practices that minimise the risk of liability in the event of litigation. Our lawyers also provide a broad range of advisory and counselling services and online resources that ensure our clients’ compliance with new e-discovery rules. Our lawyers address critical areas of concern affected by quickly evolving rules regarding data management, privacy and security.
- Review data storage systems in preparation for e-discovery audits.
- Draft information management policies.
- Provide client access to our e-discovery portal which contains essential forms, case information and regulations pertaining to electronic data and e-discovery.
- We are your strategic ally in data production, document management, file recovery and other technology solution providers.
- Work with leading providers to modify or develop software packages to meet e-discovery rules requirements.
- Advise on the litigation consequences of implementing new technologies.
- Set up processes for the review and production of documents for litigation.
- Coordinate litigation and discovery strategies.
- Manage discovery conferences with opposing counsel.
- Work with in-house information technology team liaisons and committees.
- Oversee all aspects of data production from numerous software applications.
- Train in-house lawyers and staff on e-discovery issues, pitfalls, rules and best practices.
- Develop e-discovery contingency plans to put our clients in best position to effectively manage e-discovery demands.
- Offshore data services vendor compliance and international data management.
- Employment and labour law.
- Identity theft protection laws and privacy protection.