Wood & Lee’s lawyers have extensive experience in international business, enabling us to answer the particular needs of a wide range of domestic and international clients in both the private and public sectors.
Wood & Lee lawyers provide advice in connection with:
- Corporate and commercial issues – ownership and management structures (offshore corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, joint ventures, investment funds); cross-border mergers and acquisitions; cross-border private equity investments, international joint ventures, corporate governance.
- Natural resources – project and structured finance; exploration, development and operations of projects; environmental laws and regulations; licensing and royalty agreements.
- Energy – global climate change, international energy projects, environmental assessments, international due diligence, regulatory compliance, and participation agreements.
- Infrastructure and public-private partnerships – assessment of risk transfer to the private sector, fiscal accounting and reporting standards, special purpose vehicles (SPV) for infrastructure financing, transparency issues, project risk analysis including construction, financial, performance, demand and residual value risks.
- Construction – international construction contracts, management of major infrastructure projects, competitive bidding provisions and requirements, risk insurance, green buildings, local legislation, ethics concerns.
- International project finance.
- Ethics and anti-corruption laws.
- Competition/antitrust and foreign investment –restrictions on foreign investment; merger and cartel investigations; analysis of antitrust laws in foreign countries; administration and implementation of licensing and distribution systems; antitrust and competition litigation.
- Trade – export controls; interpretation of bilateral and multilateral trade agreements; unfair trade practices; consumer protection.
- Procurement – closed bidding; contract awarding rules in different jurisdictions; anti-corruption legislation; procurement provisions in international treaties; best practices; state of public procurement regimes.
- Tax, trusts and estates – offshore business trusts, international tax planning, non-resident corporations, trust and estate administration, inherited wealth, trust and estates dispute resolution, double tax treaty provisions, estate and succession planning.
- Transportation – strategies to minimise the cost of moving products to foreign markets and reduce liabilities, private contractual arrangements, applicable domestic laws and international treaties, warehouse agreements, cross-border movement of hazardous substances.
- Forestry – tropical forests and climate change, deforestation and sustainable forestry practices, international disputes and agreements such as softwood lumber, international conventions.
- Labour and employment law – international labour relations matters, foreign employment laws, immigration, workers’ compensation, collective bargaining, occupational health and safety, discrimination.
- International arbitration and dispute resolution – cross-border litigation and dispute resolution (including dispute resolution panels), arbitration proceedings both ad hoc and institutional (LCIA, International Chamber of Commerce, International Court of Justice, and WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body) and arbitration of investor/State disputes (International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes).